Monday 29 October 2012

Daily Delicious Design - Vegetarian Pizza for Meat Free Monday

For me every day is meat free and that's how it's been for close on a decade. The transition from meat to meat-free was really easy for me as I've never been a big fan of the flesh. Even as a child I would eat my veg first and then push the meat around the plate. After much encouragement from my mother, I would relent and cut the offending fleshy food into tiny pieces to swallow whole. I'm definitely not a typical South African as my countrymen and women adore meat in all its configurations and people often comment that a meal cannot really be classified a meal until some flesh is consumed. I digress. This post is about the joys of vegetarian eating. There is so much good food out there that is tasty, healthy, filling and deeeelicious! Vegetarian pizza is a great place to start. I like to make it at home for a quick midweek dinner. I have a bread maker that makes great dough. This takes about an hour and a half but it's worth it! Easy, light and not messy. I then throw a tin of organic tomatoes in a pot, add some chili, fresh basil from our herb garden , brown sugar, salt and pepper and reduce it. This goes on the rolled out dough as a base. For toppings I use whatever we have in the cheese department and anything else that catches my fancy like raw onion, red peppers or fresh herbs. In the oven for 15 minutes and I then like to finish it off with some rocket or fresh avo, when in season. Voila, wonderful vegetarian! (thanks to SweetonVeg for the pic)

Who needs meat?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment